Most of the talk surrounding Mavado this year related to his signing with DJ Khaled’s YMCMB-affiliated We the Best label. While that was a big move, in our eyes the biggest thing the Gully Gad did this year was release the most positive, simple, life-affirming dancehall tune of the year in “Cyaa Hold Me Again,” on Stephen McGregor’s Tenement Yard riddim. We haven’t always been there with ‘Vado as he’s moved away from the hardcore badman tunes that established him a half-decade ago, but this is the place we want to see him going.
Sign up for our mailing list.
- Link Love on Visual Culture: Finding the Caribbean at Art Basel
- MsSvelteNY on Pop Style: Natalie Barnes
- Lorraine Middleton on Terror Fabulous Speaks: A Rare Interview with the Elusive ’90s Dancehall Star
- #IslandSpotlight [VIDEO] Joey Bada$$ in St Lucia on Set for “My Yout” Music Video - The Caribs on Island Hop: Watch Joey Bada$$’ St Lucia-Set “My Yout” Video
- ZakaZO on Toppa Top 10: Ten Artists To Watch in 2013