Yields approximately 5 loaves.
1 lb butter
2 lbs. brown sugar
2 lbs. flour
1 pt. stout (preferably Guinness)
1 qt. rum
1/2 pt. caramel coloring (Blue Mountain Country Burnt Sugar is best)
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. allspice
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 lb. brown sugar for stewing fruit.
1 lb. each: raisins, prunes, currants, dates, pecans, citron, maraschino cherries, and mixed peel.
Large pot for stewing fruit
Large standing mixer, or hand mixer with large mixing bowl
1 c. dry measuring cup
5 loaf pans
1 roll of wax paper
• Stew all fruit along with 1 lb. brown sugar, and rum until liquid becomes a thick syrup. It is suggested to cool completely overnight, but can still be used properly if cooled prior to mixture.
• In large mixing bowl, cream butter with 2 lbs. brown sugar, and add eggs one at a time.
• Add flour, baking powder and spices alternately with stout and caramel coloring.
• Fold the stewed fruit into the mixture.
• Line cake pans with wax paper and fill 3/4 full.
• Bake in very slow oven at 275 degrees F for about 3 hours.