Sign up for our mailing list.
- Carnival is alive and well in Oslo, Norway | Repeating Islands on EVENT: Kes the Band “Endless Summer” In-Store
- Carib Fest HD on 106 & Carnival: BET Gets Ready For Di Road
- CHECK DASH EYE’S MIX “WEH MI DO” HOSTED BY BRAMMA | Tribe Of Kings Soundsystem on Mixtape Mondays: The Heatwave, Tribe of Kings x Bramma, Dubbel Dutch
- Regina Lieder on Visual Culture: Lee “Scratch” Perry’s “The Death of Baphomet” Art Show
- Lee Scratch Perry’s “The Death of Baphomet” Art Show | The Moments of a Blackqueen on Visual Culture: Lee “Scratch” Perry’s “The Death of Baphomet” Art Show
Posts tagged: Tifa
The role of women in dancehall is extensive and varied. Most famously, there are the dancehall queens who have turned the seductive movements inspired by the music into a distinctive and worldwide artform of its own. Deejaying has always been a male-dominated sport but that’s not to say there haven’t been many worthy ladies in the ranks, too. We decided it was about time to spotlight women’s contributions to dancehall by highlighting all of the genre’s most crucial female voices, from relative newcomer Tifa to pioneers like Sister Nancy. Turns out we aren’t the only ones thinking this: this Saturday, May 24, Club Amazura in Queens, NYC is hosting a concert dubbed the Invasion of the Queens, featuring an all-female cast of dancehall greats, including a number of the lady deejays on this list.
Words by DJ Autograph—
I might be a Jamaican but my introduction to Ward 21’s “Mic Magician” is a fortunate and direct result of my current effort to learn Swedish. I was listening to Safari Sound’s show on Swedish National Radio Friday, when I was blown away by the Super Cat sample-driven “Mic Magician,” featuring Marcy Chin and Deewunn, the newest members of Ward 21′s extended Badda Badda Gang family. The song’s use of “Under Pressure” is easily the best use of a Super Cat sample this side of Nas’ Salaam Remi-produced “The Don.”
Words by Tifa—