A good friend of the LargeUp family and a behind-the-scenes contributor as well, Kingston-born Leighton Paul Walsh, A/K/A Walshy Fire, has been holding down South Florida for a decade as a selector and MC on the world famous Black Chiney Sound System. An avid sound system historian with an astounding knowledge of dancehall music, Walshy is also something of an ambassador for Caribbean culture in Miami, bringing a little Jamaican flavor to institutions like the Miami New World Symphony. It’s those qualities that made him the perfect choice for his latest role: as the new MC for Major Lazer, bringing some authentic soundman flavor to Diplo’s over-the-top dancehall project. Here, Walshy speaks for the first time on his new gig and his history in Miami’s dancehall scene.
Sign up for our mailing list.
- Link Love on Visual Culture: Finding the Caribbean at Art Basel
- MsSvelteNY on Pop Style: Natalie Barnes
- Lorraine Middleton on Terror Fabulous Speaks: A Rare Interview with the Elusive ’90s Dancehall Star
- #IslandSpotlight [VIDEO] Joey Bada$$ in St Lucia on Set for “My Yout” Music Video - The Caribs on Island Hop: Watch Joey Bada$$’ St Lucia-Set “My Yout” Video
- ZakaZO on Toppa Top 10: Ten Artists To Watch in 2013