Sign up for our mailing list.
- TopBananas on Dread and Television: Watch Chronixx Perform “Here Comes Trouble” on The Tonight Show
- Lance-O on Toppa Top 10: Ten Soca Songs That Crossed Over
- LargeUp Video: Chronixx Performs “Here Comes Trouble” Live On The Tonight Show | I Am Mo Better on Dread and Television: Watch Chronixx Perform “Here Comes Trouble” on The Tonight Show
- Chronixx Makes US Television Debut On Jimmy Fallon ~ KillerBoomBox on EVENT: Chronixx + Junior Reid at Central Park SummerStage
- ROYAL aka mikeflo & Devon Lee – “Sun Is Shining” (Royal Remix) | I Am Mo Better on Throwback Thursdays: Ten Classic Bob Marley Performances You Can Watch Online
Posts tagged: Jimmy Cliff
Harold Ramis, actor/writer/director for blockbusters like Ghostbusters and Groundhog Day, died this morning at age 69 — don’t worry, Ramis probably would have found it ironic, too. Known for his raunchy, “gross-out” comedies (see: Animal House) Ramis also brought his distinct sense of humor to the Caribbean with the cult classic Club Paradise (1986).
Not to be confused with the Drake song of the same name (though we’d like to think that was inspired it), Club Paradise features Jimmy Cliff —in his second acting role, 10-plus years after The Harder They Come—as a reggae musician named Ernest Reed who works alongside Yankee Robin Williams to start a Club Med-style resort. “Reed” performs throughout the movie, with a backing band that includes reggae legend Earl “Chinna” Smith — The Harder They Come co-star Carl Bradshaw even makes a cameo as an enterprising taxi driver (check it out below).
This year marks the 40th anniversary of the legendary film The Harder They Come, and to celebrate, it will be re-released in a restored & remastered version for one night only on September 5th in theaters around the US. Watch the remastered trailer below and check the listings for your town here.
Though the release will not be making it as far as Europe and the UK, for our London followers, the Portobello Film Festival has your back on Friday, 30th August, with free screenings of THTC and Marley. Check out their full schedule for all their Caribbean film programming.
Words by Tasha Brown—
When you think of Volkswagen, Jimmy Cliff is not a person who likely comes to mind. But during the second quarter of this year’s Super Bowl broadcast, airing this Sunday, February 3, you’ll be able to catch the reggae legend in a new Volkswagen ad called “Sunny Side.”