Over the years, Montreal’s Poirier, originally known for his experimental hip-hop beats, has become increasingly influenced by—and proficient in making— soca. The aptly titled Soca Road EP, out this week on New York’s Mixpak Records, sees him channel his energies entirely towards carnival soundtrack-age. But this isn’t your Trini uncle’s soca party: cross pollination is Poirier’s forte, and here the beatmaker brings South African femcee EJ Von Lyrik and Haiti-via-Montreal’s Imposs on for lead vocal duties on “Bring It On” and “Sak Te Gen Tan Gen La,” respectively (If you’ll remember, we actually featured that last one on the site a year back). In advance of the EP’s release tomorrow, the kind folks at Mixpak have given us an exclusive stream of the record’s four tracks. Listen below, and cop Soca Road tomorrow on iTunes, Juno, Beatport and the usual MP3 outlets.
Sign up for our mailing list.
- Ras Beats on LargeUp Premiere: Jahdan x Kabaka Pyramid — “For The Children”
- Irie Zensations on Dub In The Rainforest: I-Grade Hold a Vibes in St. Croix
- Philip Smart + HC&F Studios | saxon baird on R.I.P. Philip Smart: 13 Classics From His HC&F Studio
- Major Lazer & Walshy Fire Present SUNS OF DUB (Official Mixtape) | The Soul Republic | Online Lifestyle Magazine For The Modern Man on LargeUp Interview: Q+A with Walshy Fire
- Darian Tyndale on Terror Fabulous Speaks: A Rare Interview with the Elusive ’90s Dancehall Star