Photo: Martei Korley Subject: Old Spanish Town Location: St. Catherine, JA
The old square in Spanish Town heralds the age when it was the administrative center of Jamaica. Founded as a capitol by the Spanish, the English colonialist, upon usurping the Spaniards, continued to use it as the capitol before moving it to Kingston. The structures are in fact British, none of the original Spanish architecture has been preserved, the British burnt the Spanish structures down in 1655 when they discovered that no booty had been left for them to loot. It was also from this square that the proclamation of emancipation read on August 1, 1834.