Sign up for our mailing list.
- Brooklyn Chéri on Toppa Top 10: The Ten Best Caribbean Eats in NYC
- carib909 on Carnival Playlist: The Sounds of St. Thomas Carnival
- Noise Cans interview – Large Up | BDMNR | ALL UNDER ONE ROOF on Now Things: Behind the Mask with Noise Cans
- The Black Queen on Blacka’s World: We Chief “Gyals From Brooklyn” Video Premiere
- Ching Pow: A (Jamaican) Kicking Comedy | Repeating Islands on Pree-View: Twin of Twins’ “Ching Pow: Far East Yardies” Movie
Posts tagged: Tortola
Words by Kaya.lah—
As the Caribbean Carnival calendar goes, after the March Madness of Brazil, T&T and Dominica, it’s up to Jamaica, then St. Maarten and Rock City—that’s St. Thomas, U.S.V.I.— to carry the load of the road into May. As on our sister islands across the Caribbean, carnival on St. Thomas—also known as VI Carnival— is a celebration of life, with music, food, bacchanal and general revelry coming together to produce festive fun, joy and community togetherness. Of course, it has its own distinctive traditions and sounds.
Words by Jesse Serwer
A big LargeUp to British Virgin Islander Melanie Amaro for her win on X-Factor last night. It’s truly been a huge year for Caribbean women on US TV reality shows, as the Tortola-raised South Florida resident is celebrating her victory less than two months after Trinidad’s Anya Ayoung-Chee emerged victorious from the latest season of Project Runway. Watch Melanie’s “I Wish I Could Fly” duet with R. Kelly from Wednesday night’s performance finale, and read more about her BVI roots here.