Sign up for our mailing list.
- Carnival is alive and well in Oslo, Norway | Repeating Islands on EVENT: Kes the Band “Endless Summer” In-Store
- Carib Fest HD on 106 & Carnival: BET Gets Ready For Di Road
- CHECK DASH EYE’S MIX “WEH MI DO” HOSTED BY BRAMMA | Tribe Of Kings Soundsystem on Mixtape Mondays: The Heatwave, Tribe of Kings x Bramma, Dubbel Dutch
- Regina Lieder on Visual Culture: Lee “Scratch” Perry’s “The Death of Baphomet” Art Show
- Lee Scratch Perry’s “The Death of Baphomet” Art Show | The Moments of a Blackqueen on Visual Culture: Lee “Scratch” Perry’s “The Death of Baphomet” Art Show
Posts tagged: Tortola
Words by Kaya.lah—
As the Caribbean Carnival calendar goes, after the March Madness of Brazil, T&T and Dominica, it’s up to Jamaica, then St. Maarten and Rock City—that’s St. Thomas, U.S.V.I.— to carry the load of the road into May. As on our sister islands across the Caribbean, carnival on St. Thomas—also known as VI Carnival— is a celebration of life, with music, food, bacchanal and general revelry coming together to produce festive fun, joy and community togetherness. Of course, it has its own distinctive traditions and sounds.
Words by Jesse Serwer
A big LargeUp to British Virgin Islander Melanie Amaro for her win on X-Factor last night. It’s truly been a huge year for Caribbean women on US TV reality shows, as the Tortola-raised South Florida resident is celebrating her victory less than two months after Trinidad’s Anya Ayoung-Chee emerged victorious from the latest season of Project Runway. Watch Melanie’s “I Wish I Could Fly” duet with R. Kelly from Wednesday night’s performance finale, and read more about her BVI roots here.