Sign up for our mailing list.
- D-rail on Toppa Top 21: 21 Artists To Watch For 2014
- Moving on the Wires: News, Posts, New Music | Aker: Futuristically Ancient on Visual Culture: Lee “Scratch” Perry’s “Repent Americans” Art Exhibition
- Arbitr^rY^KonST@nT on Carnival Playlist: The Sounds of St. Thomas Carnival
- Annette Funicello and Bob Hope Do Ska | That Eric Alper on R.I.P: Annette Funicello, Pioneer of American Ska
- Screechy Dan - My Story Official Mixtape [100% Dubplates] - Safari Sound on Run The Track! Download a Massive Sound EFX Folder From Screechy Dan
Posts tagged: Tortola
Words by Kaya.lah—
As the Caribbean Carnival calendar goes, after the March Madness of Brazil, T&T and Dominica, it’s up to Jamaica, then St. Maarten and Rock City—that’s St. Thomas, U.S.V.I.— to carry the load of the road into May. As on our sister islands across the Caribbean, carnival on St. Thomas—also known as VI Carnival— is a celebration of life, with music, food, bacchanal and general revelry coming together to produce festive fun, joy and community togetherness. Of course, it has its own distinctive traditions and sounds.
Words by Jesse Serwer
A big LargeUp to British Virgin Islander Melanie Amaro for her win on X-Factor last night. It’s truly been a huge year for Caribbean women on US TV reality shows, as the Tortola-raised South Florida resident is celebrating her victory less than two months after Trinidad’s Anya Ayoung-Chee emerged victorious from the latest season of Project Runway. Watch Melanie’s “I Wish I Could Fly” duet with R. Kelly from Wednesday night’s performance finale, and read more about her BVI roots here.