Sign up for our mailing list.
- DAG on Taste Test: Cruzan’s New Rum Cream, Velvet Cinn
- Major Lazer & Walshy Fire Present SUNS OF DUB (Official Mixtape) | The Soul Republic | Online Magaize for Music, Fashion, Art and Culture on Mixtape Mondays: Major Lazer Presents Chronixx + Walshy Fire’s ‘Start A Fire’ World Premiere
- SilverProjects | | Wayne Marshall Tru Colors EP on You Rate It: Wayne Marshall, Assassin + Damian Marley Connect On “Stupid Money”
- Major Lazer & Walshy Fire Present SUNS OF DUB (Official Mixtape) on LargeUp Premiere: Major Lazer & Walshy Fire Present Suns of Dub
- Major Lazer & Walshy Fire Present SUNS OF DUB (Official Mixtape) on Mixtape Mondays: Major Lazer Presents Chronixx + Walshy Fire’s ‘Start A Fire’ World Premiere
Posts tagged: Nature Island
Words by Jesse Serwer—
When it comes to eco-tourism, Dominica is tough to beat. With its rugged, unspoiled terrain and lack of large-scale hotel developments, the island tends to attract a more active bunch to its shores than other Caribbean isles. They don’t call it the “Nature Island” for nothing. Adding to its wilderness-buff appeal is the new Waitukubuli National Trail.
Words by Jesse Serwer—
Dominica is a place of such natural abundance that even Viagra grows on trees. Better still, it’s distilled into rum. Bois Bandé, which literally translates to “hard wood,” is the bark of the Richeria grandis tree. While this same tree can also be found in Grenada, Guadeloupe, Trinidad (whose Mighty Sparrow made a song about it), Costa Rica and even parts of Brazil, in many of these places you’ve gotta be in good with some bushmen to get some. In Dominica, where bois bandé has been used as an aphrodisiac and a fix for sexual ills going back to the time of the Carib and Arawak Indians, rum made with the substance is as easy to find as the nearest liquor store or rum shack. (It’s also distilled into powders and extracts which are sold online and, apparently, very popular in France)
Words and Photo by Jesse Serwer, Video by Martei Korley—
The World Creole Music Festival is one of the major annual events on Dominica’s cultural calendar, bringing acts from across the Caribbean (and sometimes Africa, Latin America and even Louisiana) to the island of 75,000 for three nights of live performances. The 16th edition of the festival, held at the Windsor Park cricket stadium in Roseau on Oct. 26-28, featured Haiti’s T-Vice, Kreyola and Disip Gazzman and Jamaica’s Tarrus Riley and Damian “Jr. Gong” Marley, among other international acts. Dominican mainstays Midnight Groovers, Ophelia Marie, Grammacks and upstarts Asa Banton, Michele Henderson and Triple K also performed. LargeUp was there for all three nights: see our dynamic photo essays from the festival here and here.