Sign up for our mailing list.
- Ras Beats on LargeUp Premiere: Jahdan x Kabaka Pyramid — “For The Children”
- Irie Zensations on Dub In The Rainforest: I-Grade Hold a Vibes in St. Croix
- Philip Smart + HC&F Studios | saxon baird on R.I.P. Philip Smart: 13 Classics From His HC&F Studio
- Major Lazer & Walshy Fire Present SUNS OF DUB (Official Mixtape) | The Soul Republic | Online Lifestyle Magazine For The Modern Man on LargeUp Interview: Q+A with Walshy Fire
- Darian Tyndale on Terror Fabulous Speaks: A Rare Interview with the Elusive ’90s Dancehall Star
Posts tagged: John Holt
Words by LargeUp Crew, Photo and Video by Jason Zucker—
Sure, hip-hop has The Chronic, “I Got 5 On It,” and Meth and Red’s entire catalog, but when it comes to weed-smoking anthems, reggae is king. With literally tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of reggae weed anthems to choose from, we selected some of our favorites and tapped the artist behind one of ‘em, Carlton “100 Weight of Collie Weed” Livingston, to run down the best of the best. Earlier this week, we rolled out numbers 20-11 in our first video. With 4/20 upon us, here’s the Toppa Top 10.
Words by Jesse Serwer—
For the last 12 plus years, Jamaican film and TV producer Maxine Walters—she’s had her hand in most every major movie shot in JA over the last three decades, from The Mighty Quinn to Clara’s Heart— has been archiving and collecting one of Jamaica’s most unique and overlooked visual bounties: the vibrant, hand-painted signs found in public spaces across the island. Sturdy and technically illegal, these bold homemade advertisements are nailed to poles and trees everywhere from Half Way Tree to mountain villages, usually during the middle of the night, to promote grassroots events ranging from that weekend’s bashment party to the arrival in town of a pantomime play, or all-star reggae concert.
Words by Jesse Serwer
Today sees the release of Reggae Gone Country, VP Records’ compilation featuring Busy Signal, Beres Hammond, Freddie McGregor and other Jamaican artists covering country and western classics from Kenny Rogers, George Jones, Roger Miller and more. To celebrate, the label is hosting a concert at Breezes Negril in Jamaica tonight, featuring many of the artists on the album. LargeUp will be there documenting it–so stay tuned for more on that later.