Sign up for our mailing list.
- Roots & Culture: The Roots Go Dancehall With Shaggy, Patra + More on
- LargeUp Premiere: Serani’s “In My Arms” Video on
- Now ‘Ere Dis!: Super Cat Meets Shaggy + Maxi Priest on “Night Flight” on
- Toppa Top 10: The Caribbean’s Best Rum Creams on
- Green Screen: Jah9 Toasts To Fresh Food In Her “Avocado” Video on
Posts tagged: Creole culture
Words by Jesse Serwer—
Just about every island nation has an international music fest nowadays, but there aren’t any others quite like Dominica’s World Creole Music Festival.
Words and Photo by Jesse Serwer, Video by Martei Korley—
The World Creole Music Festival is one of the major annual events on Dominica’s cultural calendar, bringing acts from across the Caribbean (and sometimes Africa, Latin America and even Louisiana) to the island of 75,000 for three nights of live performances. The 16th edition of the festival, held at the Windsor Park cricket stadium in Roseau on Oct. 26-28, featured Haiti’s T-Vice, Kreyola and Disip Gazzman and Jamaica’s Tarrus Riley and Damian “Jr. Gong” Marley, among other international acts. Dominican mainstays Midnight Groovers, Ophelia Marie, Grammacks and upstarts Asa Banton, Michele Henderson and Triple K also performed. LargeUp was there for all three nights: see our dynamic photo essays from the festival here and here.