Sign up for our mailing list.
- Lance-O on Toppa Top 10: Ten Soca Songs That Crossed Over
- Adrian Rodriguez on Toppa Top 10: Reggae’s Ten Greatest Drummers
- Montrealdancehall.com – Chronixx To Appear on the Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon on Woy!: Watch Chronixx’s “Here Comes Trouble” Video
- Best reggae festival in Europe – 2014 on Toppa Top 10: Top 10 Summertime Reggae Festivals
- Marflix on A$AP Soca: A$AP Ferg Links Bunji Garlin For “Truck On D Road”
Posts tagged: Creole culture
Words by Jesse Serwer—
Just about every island nation has an international music fest nowadays, but there aren’t any others quite like Dominica’s World Creole Music Festival.
Words and Photo by Jesse Serwer, Video by Martei Korley—
The World Creole Music Festival is one of the major annual events on Dominica’s cultural calendar, bringing acts from across the Caribbean (and sometimes Africa, Latin America and even Louisiana) to the island of 75,000 for three nights of live performances. The 16th edition of the festival, held at the Windsor Park cricket stadium in Roseau on Oct. 26-28, featured Haiti’s T-Vice, Kreyola and Disip Gazzman and Jamaica’s Tarrus Riley and Damian “Jr. Gong” Marley, among other international acts. Dominican mainstays Midnight Groovers, Ophelia Marie, Grammacks and upstarts Asa Banton, Michele Henderson and Triple K also performed. LargeUp was there for all three nights: see our dynamic photo essays from the festival here and here.