Sign up for our mailing list.
- Carnival is alive and well in Oslo, Norway | Repeating Islands on EVENT: Kes the Band “Endless Summer” In-Store
- Carib Fest HD on 106 & Carnival: BET Gets Ready For Di Road
- CHECK DASH EYE’S MIX “WEH MI DO” HOSTED BY BRAMMA | Tribe Of Kings Soundsystem on Mixtape Mondays: The Heatwave, Tribe of Kings x Bramma, Dubbel Dutch
- Regina Lieder on Visual Culture: Lee “Scratch” Perry’s “The Death of Baphomet” Art Show
- Lee Scratch Perry’s “The Death of Baphomet” Art Show | The Moments of a Blackqueen on Visual Culture: Lee “Scratch” Perry’s “The Death of Baphomet” Art Show
Posts tagged: Black Sand Art
Words by Jesse Serwer—
It’s not often that we get to celebrate sparsely populated Montserrat on LargeUp, nor is it frequent that someone we know as a party-rocking MC turns out to be a talented visual artist. Well, Montserrat-born Jason “Gazoo” Allen, who can be found livening up NYC nightspots like Greenhouse as a house-music MC, specializes in art made from the black sand and soil abundant on his home island since the eruption of the Soufriere Hills volcano (a 1995 catastrophe which has since cut the country’s population in half). And damn, if he isn’t doing some pretty cool things.