Sign up for our mailing list.
- Hannah on Now Things: Behind the Mask with Noise Cans
- D-rail on Toppa Top 21: 21 Artists To Watch For 2014
- Moving on the Wires: News, Posts, New Music | Aker: Futuristically Ancient on Visual Culture: Lee “Scratch” Perry’s “Repent Americans” Art Exhibition
- Arbitr^rY^KonST@nT on Carnival Playlist: The Sounds of St. Thomas Carnival
- Annette Funicello and Bob Hope Do Ska | That Eric Alper on R.I.P: Annette Funicello, Pioneer of American Ska
Posts tagged: Biggie Smalls
Words by Jesse Serwer—
Exactly a year ago, we published one of our most ambitious and most popular Toppa Top 10 lists, highlighting the influence of Jamaican culture on the lyrics of the Notorious B.I.G, from lamb’s bread weed references to collaborations with JA singer Diana King and Super Cat. As we celebrate what would have been the iconic Brooklyn rapper’s 40th birthday today, on the 50th anniversary of Jamaica’s independence, we’re back in that state of mind. Check out some of our favorite yard-ified Biggie tunes below, or read the whole Toppa Top 10 here.
Words by DJ Gravy
In honor of The Notorious B.I.G., who met with tragedy 13 years ago on this date, we at Large Up want you to give a listen to “B.I.G. Tings A Gwan”, a Biggie meets Reggae Mixtape. The idea was this, had Biggie lived, he surely would have collaborated with Jamaican Reggae and Dancehall artists. Since he didn’t get the chance, I went ahead and made Biggie x Reggae mashups, then placed them amongst other current (circa ’07) Reggae and Dancehall cuts. It’s all good baby baby! Enjoy.